Current Urban Coup Projects
The Coup is currently pursuing two projects that reflect complementary approaches to cohousing:
Near & Tall:
A high-density apartment development close to the CBD. This project is at an advanced stage of planning, with a partner architect and developer engaged, and is actively seeking final participants as either owner/occupiers or investors. Shareholders Agreement are now available for signature. Projected move in date to Near and Tall is December 2019.
Far & Wide:
A lower density garden-set development in the middle to outer suburbs. The project is in an earlier stage and is seeking participants to further develop the plan.
Near & Tall
- A high-density development of approx. 25 households with a mixture of 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments.
- Common spaces (both indoor and outdoor) where the community can share meals, meet, socialise and also have other activities and special events. This includes a dining and kitchen area, common laundry, rooftop garden, multi-purpose spaces (e.g. music room, workshop, art and craft room) and guest rooms.
- Sustainable building design, higher density living and the efficient use of resources.
- Maximisation of energy efficiency, including passive solar design, double-glazing, onsite water collection and reuse.
- Reduced car park spaces, share cars and bike parking areas.
- Bike and car parking options that are suitable for the site and our budget.
- Fossil fuel free and incorporating renewable energy generation.
- Thermally efficient (aiming for an average of 8 stars on NatHERS) and incorporating sustainable and recycled materials.
Parameters of location search
- 4 - 8 kilometres from the CBD on a site of 500 - 800 m2.
- 4 - 6 storeys tall.
Expected size & cost
- NB these cannot be fully known until we have a site and a detailed feasibility study:
- 1 bed – size between 45 and 55 m2, price $425,000 to $460,000.
- 2 bed – size between 65 and 75 m2, price $560,000 to $620,000.
- 3 bed – size between 80 and 95 m2, price $670,000 to $785,000.
- Car parks – unsure about cost and availability at the moment.
- Finalising costs, members and investors to form a Shareholder Agreement for members and Terms Sheet for investors.
- Finalising a site.
Far & Wide
- Up to 20 households mixing 1, 2 and 3 bedroom homes, in freestanding or townhouse style (or a mixture), integrated into an open, human-scale and permeable site, with a mix of private and shared open space (including productive gardens and a chook house).
- One or more common buildings where the community can share meals, meet, socialise and use for other activities and special events, including a dining and kitchen area, shared spaces (music room, workshop, art and craft room, etc.), shared laundry and guest accommodation.
- Sustainable building design and materials, small house design, common infrastructure and the efficient use of resources, including consideration of whole-of-life building costs.
- Maximisation of energy efficiency, including passive solar design, double-glazing, onsite power generation, water collection and reuse.
- Landscape that enhances the community through integrating social and productive spaces. Use of sustainable gardening techniques that maximise re-use of water and waste.
- Reduced car park spaces (on the edge of the site), share car facilities and bike parking.
Parameters of location search
- ~20km from CBD on a site >3,000 m2.
- 2 - 3 storeys.
- Within the Melbourne metro area.
- Within a 15-minute walk of a train station.
- Within a 10-minute walk to local amenities.
Estimated size & cost
- Homes up to 120 m2, with an anticipated price range of between $400k and $700k.
- Firming up options for how the project is to be financed.
- Modelling in more detail the costs base for the project (including more definitive dwelling costs).
- Launching a site search to narrow options based on preferences for location, land size, proximity to transport etc.
- Firming up members for seed funding.
- Recruiting community members for the journey of development ahead.
- Social saunters to experience possible locations and amenities.